By Dr. Rick Tague
Currently, one in four Americans has abnormal blood sugar metabolism with some degree of elevated blood sugar and “insulin resistance.” Chromium was discovered in 1977 to be an essential nutrient and has been linked to improved health, fat loss and metabolic fitness…including improved blood sugar levels. Chromium helps insulin to do its job of lowering blood sugar by increasing insulin receptors on cells. When Chromium is available, blood sugar is transported into muscle cells and more readily available to be burned as energy. When Chromium is not available, blood sugar tends to float around in the blood, get turned into fat and eventually get stored as body fat.
Does the American diet provide enough Chromium? Not really. Many experts believe the optimal amount is several times higher than the 120 mcg the government’s Daily Value recommends. Further, the body must combine dietary Chromium with nicotinic acid for it to be effective, which becomes more difficult with aging and with diseases like diabetes. CFN Chromium GTF 200 is already combined with nicotinic acid for optimal effectiveness.
Benefits of Chromium supplementation include…
* Increase Fat Burning: Studies show that Chromium supplementation in dieters results in much higher fat loss and much less muscle loss. In one study, the Chromium group (600 mcg/day) lost 84% of weight as fat and 16% as muscle, while the placebo group lost only 8% of weight as fat and 92% of weight loss as muscle. Non-exercisers have lost 3.8 lbs of fat in 10 weeks simply by adding Chromium. A recent study found that by supplementing with 1,000 mcg/day of Chromium GTF, patients consumed 207 less calories per day, thus supporting it’s use as an appetite suppressant.
* Increase Muscle: One study with weight lifting athletes showed 28 times more muscle gain with Chromium (from 2 oz. w/out Chromium to 3.5 lbs muscle gain with Chromium).
* Metabolic Syndrome: Chromium helps reverse the insulin resistance at the core of this condition. Ten research studies have found that Chromium lowers abnormally high insulin levels.
* Diabetes Type II: 400-1000 mcg per day has been shown to relieve and reverse many of the signs and symptoms of diabetes Type II, including lower blood sugars and lower cholesterol.
* Diabetes Type I: Insulin doses were reduced by 30% in Type I diabetics with 200 mcg Chromium per day.
BUYER BEWARE, NOT ALL CHROMIUM IS EQUAL!
Chromium Picolinate, found in many over the counter formulas, is not recommended. It’s been associated with two cases of kidney failure, chromosomal abnormalities and some experts believe because of the cellular damage seen in laboratory animals, it could increase cancer risks. Effectiveness was inconsistent in research studies.
Chromium Chloride is not recommended either. It has been found to be less effective and less bioavailable (amount available for use in your body). It was found to be 3-8 times less available in tissues compared to Chromium GTF 200.
Chromium GTF 200, with nicotinic acid, has been shown to help insulin metabolize fat, improve glucose and insulin metabolism, maintain healthy cholesterol and blood sugar levels, turn protein into muscle, and convert sugar into energy. Chromium levels decrease with age and deficiencies appear to be common. Chromium GTF 200 is superior in terms of safety, bioavailability, and effectiveness compared to other forms of Chromium. Dose ranges 200-1,000 mcg per day. CFN often recommends 3 capsules per day for long-term metabolic support.