(Introducing Probiotic Ultra!)
Our “guts” (intestines) are loaded with over 100 trillion bacteria. In fact, 90% of the living cells in your body are bacteria in your gut! The question is obvious…
Is your intestinal bacteria friend or foe? The answer… it depends!
Some types of bacteria are mandatory for good health. Others can be life-threatening enemies! Others lie between the extremes.
Adding more good bacteria to our GI tract by mouth is accomplished with “probiotics”. Probiotics are live beneficial bacteria in supplements or special foods. The research on probiotics has convinced me of their health benefits. So, after studying the topic for the past several years….
I’m pleased to introduce Probiotic Ultra, our new probiotic that offers several probiotic advantages.
Bad Gut Bacteria and Unwanted Weight Gain
One important function of GI bacteria is digestion and absorption of certain foods. Normally, some carbohydrates pass through us and are not digested. However, certain “bad” bacteria can actually digest these foods for us.
If bad bacteria digest more calories for us, we will absorb more calories and gain more weight! These weight gain bacteria are definitely in the category of “foe”!
Firmicutes bacteria are one of the bad bacteria in overweight people causing weight gain. Overweight individuals have many more Firmicutes than thin people. Good bacteria like Bifidobacteria and certain Lactobacillus, however, are highly concentrated in thin people and support weight loss by limiting calorie absorption.
Fun Fact: When intestinal bacteria from obese patients were transplanted in to mice, the mice became obese. When intestinal bacteria from skinny children were given to mice, they lost weight. Our bacteria matter… they influence our weight!
Bad Gut Bacteria and Common Health Problems
If you are pursuing optimum health, I assure you, do not overlook these powerful neighbors within us as a factor. The damage bad bacteria can inflict is nothing short of scary! If ignored, the latest research suggests “bad bacteria” not only can trigger weight gain, they also are associated with ugly things like:
- Metabolic Syndrome and Diabetes Mellitus Type 2
- Allergies and Asthma
- Colon Cancer
- Crohn’s disease and Ulcerative Colitis
- Excess inflammation in the body
- Anxiety and Depression
- Frequent respiratory infections
Good Gut Bacteria and Weight Loss
We already know much about the benefits of probiotics, such as Probiotic Ultra, to support weight loss.
Increasing our good bacteria (through probiotics) by 20% can reduce calorie absorption by 150 calories per day, supporting up to 15 lbs of weight loss over the course of a year.
For children also, undesirable bacteria cause weight gain. Children with more of the healthy Bifidobacteria and Lactobacilli tend to remain normal weight. Children with fewer good bacteria tend to become overweight.
(Note: Good Bifidobacteria and Lactobacilli are concentrated in Probiotic Ultra!)
Good Gut Bacteria and Optimum Health
Exciting new research in the field of probiotics is also showing health benefits from probiotics in the following areas:
- Infections: Fewer respiratory, intestinal and vaginal infections (i.e. colds, diarrhea and vaginitis).
- Metabolic Syndrome and Fatty Liver (both from abdominal weight gain) improve with probiotics.
- Blood pressure (with very high doses only) and cholesterol are lower with probiotics.
- Irritable bowel syndrome – improvement in abdominal pain, bloating, and gas.
- Mood improvements – including fewer sad thoughts in those with depression.
Why do we need probiotics?
Modern high calorie foods (sugars and fats), stress, antibiotics, medications (like NSAIDS), excess weight gain, and chronic constipation all have a negative impact on gut health. These negative forces essentially declare war on our good bacteria, giving the bad bacteria a chance to thrive. If you’ve experienced any of the above factors, you should consider probiotics.
Having a constant, daily supply of health-promoting, friendly bacteria flooding your intestines will be doing yourself a favor. Remember, your daily routine is what will give long-term benefits, so keep the good bacteria coming in to your system daily and then take good care of them! Eat food that is good for them (and you) and avoid antibiotics!
Why Probiotic Ultra?
- High potency. 15,000,000,000 bacteria per capsule (30 billion in a daily dose of two capsules) assure a clinically relevant dose. Each strain is concentrated to provide a high dose of each type of beneficial bacteria.
- Eight beneficial bacterial strains. We’ve included multiple strains of Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium, which are among the most researched probiotics. This “blend” assures a daily boost of these “good” strains that support health.
- Prebiotic included. We’ve also added “food” for the bacteria (FOS – fructooligosaccharides) to increase survival of the bacteria as they travel from your mouth to your lower intestine. This is called a synbiotic approach, and is used in all higher quality probiotics.
Probiotic Ultra Dosage:
Two capsules daily is recommended for those dealing with excess weight, diabetes type 2, metabolic syndrome, recent antibiotic use, or any of the medical conditions noted above. One capsule daily is recommended for those in excellent health who are consuming a healthy diet. Once opened, store the bottle in a cool, dry place (i.e. room temperature) for best results. Refrigeration is not necessary.
Summary: The bacteria in our intestines have a powerful influence on our ability to lose weight and enjoy health. But remember, a proper diet (i.e. fruits, vegetables, fiber), proper nutrients, an active lifestyle, stress management, and appetite control are also key factors for long-term health and weight control.
For Optimum Health,
Rick Tague, M.D., M.P.H. & T.M.