You are reading this because you are a “seeker” of Optimum Health. In fact, you and I have a common goal, and that goal is to…
“Achieve and Maintain YOUR Optimum Health!”
I use the term “Optimum Health” frequently. After all, health matters. And when it comes to something as important as your health, mediocrity and compromise have no place. Your Optimum Health is an extremely valuable goal that we share in common, but how can we know if we’re experiencing Optimum Health?
Optimum Health typically means the following…
- Energy levels, mood, and mental focus become your new normal. Feeling fatigued, short of breath, lethargic, sleepy, anxious, tired, or depressed become things of the past.
- The body is able to do all that you want and need it to do!
- Unwanted weight gain has not only been stopped in its tracks, years of unwanted weight gain has been eliminated, achieving a trim, fit, and healthy body.
Why isn’t Optimum Health the “norm” in America?
Unfortunately, there are many challenges to the “Optimum Health” and ideal weight that we desire. Here are a few that are all too common:
- A food industry promoting unhealthy foods
- Work environments that keep us sitting too much
- Personal and work stress
- Sleep that is insufficient and/or poor quality
- Family genetic tendencies toward weight gain or chronic diseases
- Medication side effects, including fatigue, weight gain, or depression
- Well-meaning friends and family influencing us by their unhealthy lifestyles
After 30 years of assisting people towards Optimum Health, I’ve identified 2 prerequisites that I consider MANDATORY for achieving and maintaining Optimum Health. Here they are:
Prerequisite #1: We must halt and reverse Unwanted Weight Gain!
We cannot be in great health after excessive weight gain. The risk of fatigue, joint pain, low self-esteem, diabetes, cancer, heart disease, stroke, and dementia all become unacceptably high. Body composition matters!
Unfortunately, the “typical American” gains 30 or more pounds by the time they are 50. Fatigue, elevated cholesterol, blood pressure problems, joint pain, and inactivity are common outcomes. Risks of deadly killers like heart disease, stroke, diabetes, and many cancers increase unnecessarily.
For 5-15 lbs of weight gain, self-managed plans can be effective for some. To lose and keep off 15 or more lbs often requires medical support. Read my article on “Successful Weight Loss” for more information.
Prerequisite #2: We must consume Excellent Nutrition!
If someone has a key nutrient deficiency (like iron, vitamin D, or omega-3 fatty acids), risk of cancer, fatigue, depression, and dementia can skyrocket! For example, recent research revealed that low Vitamin D levels double the risk of dementia. The human brain, with all its intricacies, requires cellular nutrients for all its complex functions, like memory! Excellent nutrition is indeed possible in America, and we both know it is the right thing to do.
Essential nutrients include 14 vitamins, 17 minerals and 2 essential fatty acids. Abnormal body function occurs if optimum amounts are not consumed. American food diets simply do not contain the recommended amounts of all essential nutrients. Our Essential Nutrient Package was designed to solve this problem. Don’t make it harder than it needs to be. Our three “Essential” supplements in this package assure you are getting all your essential nutrients every day.
Further, feed your body as if you really care, because you do! Get the following as your daily foundation. Again, don’t make it harder than necessary:
- 1 serving of nuts and/or seeds daily (if not allergic)
- 2 servings of fruit daily (more color is good)
- 3 servings of legumes weekly
- 4 servings of healthy oils and fats daily (olives, olive oil, canola oil, avocados, oily fish, nuts and seeds)
- 5 servings of vegetables daily (more color is good)
- 6 servings (2-3 oz each) of protein daily (spread evenly over 3 meals, avoid red meat)
- 7+ servings of water daily (mostly not stored in plastic bottles)
If you are NOT experiencing Optimum Health, don’t be discouraged. The human body is typically very forgiving and anxious to heal when we care for it properly. Although prescriptions and surgeries may be necessary for some conditions, achieving a healthy weight and having excellent nutrition will resolve many common health problems.
In our complex world, with all its health challenges, we need thoughtful guidance regarding effective strategies for achieving Optimum Health. This is especially true for stubborn issues like being overweight.
Regardless of the obstacles, relentlessly pursue your weight and nutrition goals! To achieve Optimum Health (and being trim, fit and healthy), embrace a plan now. There is no better day than today to get started on the road to Optimum Health.
Perhaps you’ve already had a Personal Health Plan developed for you at one of our Center for Nutrition offices. If so, simply keep putting into practice the simple tools and strategies we’ve already made available to you. They will empower you on a successful journey. If you still need assistance in discovering an effective set of strategies, contact us. We’re here to help you.
And remember, Optimum Health is ALWAYS worth the effort.
For Optimum Health,
Rick Tague, M.D., M.P.H.
P.S. This article is not referring to the accidents, injuries, and health conditions that are simply unavoidable. But remember, the epidemic diseases in America, like overweight, heart disease, stroke, many cancers and diabetes are mostly preventable and unnecessary!