You and I have a common goal, and it is all about you. We both want to…
“Achieve and Maintain YOUR Optimum Health!”
I use the term “Optimum Health” frequently. After all, health matters. And when it comes to something as important as your health, mediocrity and compromise have no place. Optimum Health is an extremely valuable and “necessary” goal, so let’s define it:
Optimum Health typically means the following…
- Energy levels, mood, and mental focus become your new normal. Feelings of fatigue, poor concentration, sleepiness, lethargy, memory loss, shortness of breath, or depression become things of the past.
- Your body is able to do all that you want and need it to do! Recreational activities, busy work routines, social activities, and general physical activity become achievable and feel normal.
- Unwanted weight gain has not only been stopped in its tracks, years of weight gain have been reversed, achieving a trim, fit, and healthy body.
Why isn’t Optimum Health the “norm” in America?
Unfortunately, maintaining “Optimum Health” and an ideal weight can be a real battle. Common obstacles to health end up sabotaging the majority of Americans. Here are a few:
- A cunning food industry promoting tasty, addictive, unhealthy foods
- Family tendencies to be overweight
- Chronic personal and work stress
- Sleep that is insufficient and/or poor quality
- Jobs that keep us sitting too much
- Genetic predisposition for diabetes, heart disease, stroke, or cancer
- Medication side effects including fatigue, weight gain, or depression
- Friends and family influencing us with their unhealthy lifestyles
Regardless of the challenges, I’ve identified 2 keys that are MANDATORY for achieving and maintaining Optimum Health. Here they are:
Key #1: We must halt and reverse Unwanted Weight Gain!
We cannot be in great health after gaining an extra 20 pounds, 40 pounds, or even more. The body just can’t handle it. The risk of fatigue, depression, joint pain, low self-esteem, diabetes, cancer, heart disease, stroke, and dementia all become unacceptably high. Your weight matters!
The “typical American” gains 30 or more pounds between ages 20 and 50. High cholesterol, blood pressure problems, joint pain, and inactivity are common outcomes. Risks of deadly killers like heart disease, stroke, diabetes, and many cancers skyrocket.
The unfortunate reality is that weight loss is hard, much harder than most people realize. The average dieter actually GAINS 1-3 lbs after a year of dieting. So, to lose and keep off 15 or more lbs usually requires medical assistance. Read my article on Successful Weight Loss for more information.
The good news is that the body is very forgiving. After losing 15 or more pounds of excess weight, your risk of chronic disease will plummet. And one’s sense of well-being and self-esteem usually skyrocket. It is worth the effort! And, it is possible! We see our patients succeed every day.
A powerful, individualized medical strategy is typically what is needed to get the exceptional weight loss that is typical for our patients.
Key #2: Excellent Nutrition is mandatory, including proper food AND excellent supplements!
If you have a nutritional deficiency (like iron, vitamin D, or omega-3 fatty acids), your risk of cancer, fatigue, depression, and dementia can increase dramatically! For example, recent research revealed that low Vitamin D levels double the risk of dementia. The human brain, with all its intricacies, requires cellular nutrients for all its complex functions, like memory!
Excellent nutrition is indeed possible in America, and you already know it is the right thing to do. However, most Americans never experience excellent nutrition and all its health benefits.
For humans, essential nutrients include 14 vitamins, 17 minerals and 2 essential fatty acids. Abnormal or “subnormal” body function will occur if optimum amounts are not consumed. Further, American diets simply do not contain the recommended amounts of all essential nutrients.
Our Essential Nutrient Package was designed to solve the problem of common essential nutrient deficiencies. Don’t make it harder than it needs to be. The three separate supplements in this package assure you are getting all your essential nutrients every day.
Further, be intentional about eating healthy food, as if you really care, because you do! Get the following as your daily foundation. Again, don’t make it harder than necessary. Here are 7 simple steps to a healthy food plan:
- 1 serving of nuts and/or seeds daily (1 oz, about a handful per serving)
- 2 servings of fruit daily (more color is good)
- 3 servings of legumes weekly
- 4 servings of healthy oils and fats daily (olives, olive oil, canola oil, avocados, oily fish, nuts and seeds)
- 5 servings of vegetables daily (more color is good)
- 6 servings (2-3 oz each) of protein daily (spread evenly over 3 meals, avoid red meat)
- 7+ servings of water daily (mostly not stored in plastic bottles)
Note: Your personal diet recommendations may differ if you have a medical condition, such as overweight, that needs to be managed with a special, temporary nutrition plan. However, the above is a great long-term plan for almost everyone!
If you are NOT experiencing Optimum Health, don’t be discouraged. The human body can be very forgiving and is anxious to heal when we care for it properly. Although prescriptions and surgeries may be necessary for some conditions, achieving a healthy weight and having excellent nutrition will resolve many common health problems. Although chronic conditions that are already present may limit your Optimum Health, that’s okay. We still want to achieve our personal potential for Optimum Health!
In our complex world, with all its health challenges, most of us need thoughtful guidance regarding effective strategies for achieving Optimum Health. This is especially true for stubborn issues like being overweight.
Regardless of the obstacles, relentlessly pursue your weight and nutrition goals! To achieve Optimum Health (and being trim, fit and healthy), discover your personal Optimum Health Plan now.
There is no better day than today to get started on the road to Optimum Health. A simple phone call is all that is required to get started on your personal journey to Optimum Health. Visit us at TagueNutrition.com for more information.
And remember, Optimum Health is ALWAYS worth the effort.
For Optimum Health,
Rick Tague, M.D., M.P.H.
P.S. This article is not referring to the accidents, injuries, and health conditions that are simply unavoidable. But remember, the epidemic diseases in America, like overweight, heart disease, stroke, many cancers and diabetes are mostly preventable and unnecessary!